Friday, September 08, 2006

Walk in the Rain

Contact Microphone Field Recording By: Derek Holzer
Location: Mooste, EE
Date Created: 8/14/05
Play

I discovered this recording, and its home site (soundtransit.nl), last semester when Derek Holzer did a presentation in Rob’s Film 380 class. While I enjoy ambient, atmospheric recordings, such as the one Anna posted, I find my self drawn to contact microphone recordings for their ability to isolate and transform simple sounds. The sounds of the rain drops hitting the umbrella in this piece sound so aggressive and violent, yet sparse, and I think these qualites keep me returning to the piece. The rain drops seem to change from isolated percussive beats, like embers in a fire popping, to sounding like branches of a birch tree clanking together aggressively. The whole thing begins to take on an unfettered pace, making for a dual experience of initial mystery to a feeling of anxiousness.

-Anthony Lopez

Photo Credit:
Figure 1: Repairing Branches
E. Gilman
University of Florida

http://tinyurl.com/zzth9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home